Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Special Pizza Crust, SL1990

When The Mister left on his business trip, I took advantage of being off diet and gave into my craving for pizza. This light and crispy crust was a great way to enjoy healthy pizza. Made with wheat flour, it didn't take long to put this pizza together. (And it didn't take long to devour either.)
mrsmisadventure

Special Pizza Crust

From Southern Living 1990 Annual Recipes, Page 139

Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 tsp yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup warm water
The instructions say to dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and allow it to stand for 5 minutes. However, I was in a hurry so I dumped all of my dry ingredients (Breadmachine RapidRise yeast, wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and salt) into the mixer with dough hook attachment. I then added 3/4 cup of warm tap water and 1 Tbsp of olive oil and turned the mixer to the lowest setting to allow the dough to combine. Once combined, I left the dough to sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile I oiled the pizza stone with olive oil and turned the oven to 425 degrees. The instructions say to knead the dough and divide in half to make two twelve inch pizzas, but I placed the dough from the mixer on the pizza stone and rolled it out immediately. My pizza stone is approximately 15 inches in diameter. Then I baked the dough for 5 minutes before adding my toppings.

Once I added the tomato sauce, cheese, and broccoli, I baked the pizza for 13 minutes and the crust was thin and crispy on the outside.
mrsmisadventure

No comments:

Post a Comment