Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Chocolate Ice Cream (DL style)

This ice cream recipe was adapted from the recipe posted by David Lebovitz. I served it at a dinner we hosted and much of it was consumed before I was able to take a photo, hence the extremely melted photo provided here was the only one I managed to snap. The ice cream received rave reviews from our dinner guests and from The Mister. I was told by one guest that it was the best chocolate ice cream he had eaten. (Thanks for the recipe David Lebovitz!) I mixed the ice cream with homemade brownie bites using the Basic Brownies recipe and homemade marshmallows to create Brownie and Marshmallow Chocolate Ice Cream.

MrsMisadventure

Chocolate Ice Cream

Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz's Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
  • 3 cups half and half
  • 4 teaspoons corn starch
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
  • 5 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Cocoa Natural Unsweetened.)
  • 4.5 ounces milk chocolate morsels
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
In a small bowl, I mixed about 1/3 cup of half and half and the corn starch and set aside.
On the stove, I heated the remaining half and half, sugar, and corn syrup stirring constantly until the liquid started to boil. Then I added the cocoa powder and allowed it to boil for four minutes, according to the instructions. When four minutes passed, I poured the corn starch mix from the small bowl into the heated liquid, continuing to stir for another minute before turning off the heat and adding the chocolate morsels, salt, and vanilla. I stirred until the chocolate was melted, but had some chunks from the cornstarch. I strained the mix into a bowl which went immediately into the refrigerator to cool. After an hour in the refrigerator, I moved the bowl into the freezer for a few hours to get completely cold before placing the liquid into the ice cream maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment