Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Basic Brownies, SL1997

These brownies are very cake-like, which I really enjoy. The Mister prefers brownies that are more chewy and moist and thought these were okay. I served them with homemade ice cream at a dinner we attended and very few were left. If you like cake-like brownies, these may be good to try.

Basic Brownies

From the Southern Living 1997 Annual Recipes, page 34
  • 1 cup butter
  • 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares (I used cocoa powder mixed with oil for a total of 12 Tbsp of cocoa powder and 4 Tbsp of oil in accordance with the package directions.)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla 
In a  mixer beat eggs, then with the mixer still on add the sugar. Once combined, add flour, salt, and vanilla to the mixer. The instructions say to stir in the chocolate, but I added it with the dry ingredients until just combined. The instructions say to stir in 1.5 cups of walnuts or pecans at this time if desired. I omitted this step. I used the Wilton Silicone Brownie Squares Baking Mold, greasing the mold well with oil, to create the squares. The brownies baked in the 325 degree oven between 40 to 45 minutes. (the time was a little shorter for me as I was using the molds. After the brownies finished baking, I released them onto a wire rack to cool.

I found that the brownies even froze relatively well. After freezing, to thaw, I placed the brownie squares in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. The Mister felt that they had dried a little in the freezer, but didn't refuse any when I topped them with ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment