Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Giant Oatmeal-Spice Cookies, SL 1980

The Mister and I devoured these cookies! No surprise there as oatmeal cookies are The Mister's favorite and while I prefer my cookies to contain chocolate, there's no way I'm passing up these aromatic, salad plate sized cookies!

After baking, the kitchen smelled so good. The edge of the oatmeal cookie was crisp and the center was chewy. A perfect cookie to serve with milk. Or, sandwich marshmallow creme between two cookies for a giant snack.

The Mister and I really liked these cookies. Next time, I will make them smaller. The Mister wants to try them with nuts. Maybe we'll even add some chocolate morsels...

Giant Oatmeal-Spice Cookies

adapted from Southern Living 1980 Annual Recipes, page 105

I halved this recipe and got 8 large cookies. I also did not have cloves or ginger, so I doubled the cinnamon and allspice. An optional ingredient in the recipe is 1/2 cup chopped nuts. I omitted these.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp each cinnamon and allspice (The original recipe calls for 1 tsp each of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and 1/2 tsp of ginger.)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oats

Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugars, then add the egg and vanilla. Mix in the flour and stir in the oats. The recipe suggests using a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure and drop the dough on the baking sheets. I used an ice cream scoop which yielded a salad plate sized cookie. Bake at 375 for 14 minutes.

My oven seems to run hot (guess I better add an oven thermometer to the wish list.) so I turned the heat to 350 and baked longer. I just watched it until the ends were brown and the middle was set.

No comments:

Post a Comment