Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Honey Angel Biscuit, SL 1995

This fragrant biscuit was delightfully light and soft. It had a bit of honey smell, but very little honey taste. (This may have been a result of eating it with egg and gouda.) It held up very well as an egg and cheese sandwich. Next time, I need to roll it thicker (This seems to be a continual comment on the biscuits I make. They simply are not tall enough for sandwiches because I roll them too thin.) The Mister found these biscuits tasty and gave them a thumbs up. He said that they are not dry, they need to be thicker, and he would definitely use it again as a sandwich if it were taller. Seems like we are one step closer in the search for the perfect biscuit recipe!
These Honey Angel Biscuits were described as "Tasty!" and given a thumbs up by The Mister.

Honey Angel Biscuits

from the Southern Living 1995 Annual Recipes, Page 138

I halved the recipe from the book.

1 1/8 tsp yeast
1 TBSP warm water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup buttermilk
2 TBSP honey

I added the yeast to the water and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I added the flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening to the yeast mix and cut the shortening with a pastry blender. To these ingredients, I added the buttermilk and honey and stirred until combined. The dough was kneaded and cut with a three inch biscuit cutter. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.

I rolled these about 1/4 inch thick and they were too thin for biscuits. The recipe instructs to roll them 1/2 inch thick.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum!! I grew up on biscuits, but I rarely ever eat them anymore :( Don't know why - I just never seem to make them. I really need to whip up a batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! We have been enjoying trying new biscuit recipes. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete