Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Spiced Pecans, SL 1980

A dinner in Oklahoma prompted me to try making my own candied pecans. I found this recipe in one of the Southern Living annuals, though not the same as the ones I had in Oklahoma, these were still tasty and quite sweet. Next time I think I should add more pecans to the mixture. These were a crunchy, sweet addition to my salad.

 Spiced Pecans

Adapted from the Southern Living 1980 Annual Recipes, Page 31

The recipe called for 1/4 tsp ground cloves. I did not have any so I omitted it.

The Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 cups pecans
Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, (cloves if you have it), and water in a pan. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Cook to softball stage about 232 degrees. I used a candy thermometer to be sure the sugar mixture reached the correct temperature. Remove from heat and stir in the pecans. Put the pecans on a baking sheet and spread them out to cool.

At first I thought I had done something wrong as the pecans did not appear to be drying, but after an hour of cooling, the sugar coating had dried onto the pecans and I was able to separate the pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment