Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Tree (Holiday Link Party 2012)

Like much of what we have in our home, our Christmas tree was a hand-me-down from a family member. Although the decorations this year are simple, colorful orbs some of which glitter in the light, one of the most cherished possessions on the tree this year is the tree topper.


Growing up we always had a star on our Christmas tree. It was gold in color with silver accents and sparkly bits that sometimes shed. As children, we would dance around our tree hanging homemade ornaments and tossing mounds of sparkly silver strands of tinsel which somehow made its way all over the house no matter the frequency of vacuuming. We would rope the tree in shiny gold and silver garland. I can remember in later years, the garland strands broke into shorter pieces after years of use, yet we would continue to dutifully drape its tinsel colored strands around the tree.


Mom and I found the beautiful angel topper on a shopping trip together at one of the local home decorating stores as we were preparing for Christmas. She was tucked in with a handful of other lovely ladies with white feathery wings. We were immediately drawn to it. It was the first time we had ventured away from the star topper.

 
Looking at the tree topper now reminds me of so many things, my first Christmas with my new husband, the passing of my aunt in which she and I share a love for angels, and the significance of new beginnings. Each year since that day in the store, I pull her out of the box and pause. The memories return and I can not help but smile as I gingerly set the angel on top of our tree.


I'm linking up today with ThriftyDecorChick's Holiday Home Link Party. Check it out.

christmas tree party

No comments:

Post a Comment