Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Cranberry Glaze, SL 1984

Sometimes we wind up using somewhat unconventional items for our meals simply because we are trying to clean out our pantry items or because we haven't had the time to go shopping. In this case, we were in the mood for pancakes (I'm always in the mood for pancakes. :) ) We were out of sugar cane syrup and we had cranberries in the freezer. So cranberry glaze moved to the top of the menu.

I really liked this recipe. It allowed us to use leftover frozen cranberries and was relatively quick to cook. I also had all of the ingredients on hand. This glaze reminded me more of jam in its consistency (maybe I cooked it too long?), but tasted great spread over a stack of pancakes.

Cranberry Glaze

From the Southern Living 1984 Annual Recipes, pg 306
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup cranberries (we used frozen)
2/3 cup water

Add all ingredients over medium heat and stir and stir and stir.  I used an immersion blender to puree the cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment