Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Granola Bars, SL1983

The Mister enjoys granola especially on plain yogurt. To me, granola and fruit are the only additions that make plain yogurt palatable so started our search of a good granola recipe.

I selected this recipe from the SL books since we had all of the ingredients on hand. Most bar recipes do not turn out well for me. Usually the bars become a crumbly mess and while in the case of granola it is okay for the ingredients to be held loosely together, most of the time I am disappointed that the bar does not hold its shape. After making the granola bars, I had only a few squares that remained in bar form. I think next time I may need to grease the pan more liberally in an effort to keep the bars from sticking to the pan. The flavor of this granola was great and even in its crumbled form was very well received. I think the next time I try this recipe I will omit the egg and forming it into a bar and instead serve it loosely crumbled since we often eat granola with our yogurt and salads.
mrsmisadventure



Granola Bars

from the Southern Living1983 Annual Recipes, Page 305

I halved this recipe.
  • 2 cup regular oats, uncooked (I used instant oats.)
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup raisins
Spread oats on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl melt butter, add brown sugar, honey, egg, salt, vanilla, pecans and raisins to the melted butter. Stir well. After the oats have baked for 15 minutes, add the oats to the bowl with the other ingredients and stir well. Grease the jellyroll pan and spread the ingredients on the pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment