Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies, SL 1984

Woo hoo! This is my fiftieth post!

There is never a bad time to share chocolate chip cookies. Always on the hunt for a good cookie recipe, I pulled this basic recipe from the Southern Living Annuals and knew it would not disappoint. I used leftover Easter chocolates in lieu of the chocolate chips. They turned out delicious, lightly crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I sampled a few to be sure they were acceptable, but gave the remaining away as a thank you. Based on the responses, the cookies were well received. The person who received the cookies asked for the recipe which I was very happy to share. The second batch I made, went to a gentleman at my office to thank him for fixing my computer. This recipe is wonderful especially with the addition of pecans and it never hurts to thank a person by giving them cookies. This will definitely be found in the "Keep" pile.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted from the Southern Living 1984 Annual Recipes, Page 120
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate morsels (I used one 8 ounce package of Dove Milk Chocolate and crushed up the chocolate into smaller pieces.)
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
I allowed the butter to soften then creamed it in the mixer and added the sugars, egg, and vanilla. Then I added the flour, soda, and salt until the mixture came together. The chocolate and pecans were added last until fully incorporated. I used a cookie scoop to drop even amounts of dough onto cookie sheets and baked at 350 for 10 minutes.

Some Observations: These cookies worked great as a make ahead or refrigerator/freezer cookie. I saved a batch in the refrigerator overnight and then baked them the following day and they turned out great. The only thing to keep in mind is to allow the dough to thaw a little. When I took the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and immediately tried scooping them, the dough was too crumbly, but after allowing the dough to thaw, scooping with the cookie scoop was no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment