After taking many measurements, we constructed each gate on the ground. First, building the frame and then filling in the rails, pickets, and fascia boards and top cap. Each set of gates were different sizes so we had to carefully measure each section and customize the gate based on the size. There was a lot of measuring, writing the number on a scrap 2x4 and re-measuring to be sure. There aren't too many in-progress photos as we both were attempting to cut, fit, hold, and assemble the gates.
|Building the frame of the single gate on the ground|
|The back of the completed single gate|
|The front of the completed single gate. This picture shows the 2x4 top cap flush with the front and back. We later removed the 2x4 top cap and exchanged it with a 2x6.|
|Constructing the two sets of double gates on the ground|
|Hanging each gate at the carport|
|A view of the completed large double gates. (Not sure why the coloring is weird in this photo.)|
- In the single gate photos above, you can clearly see that the panels to the left and right of the gate were not installed prior to the gate installation. This actually caused some problems for us when we started to install those panels. We found that the hinged side of the gate was pulling on the post (especially the top of the post) and binding the gate. Due to the pulling, it also meant that our post was no longer straight up and down. The Mister had to later remove the gate and reinstall it after the panels were installed.
- After installing the gate hinges and locks, we had planned to install a cane bolt at each double gate, but we delayed doing this. A huge storm rolled through our area. The force of the wind was strong enough to shear the lock on the double gate. We quickly went out to purchase cane bolts, some galvanized pipe and a new lock.