Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Fresh Blueberry Cobbler, SL 1980

We have been picking beautiful, large blueberries from my mother's blueberry patch. The weekly rains we have been receiving have produced an abundance of berries. This past week Hawkeye hosted a lasagna dinner and The Mister and I brought this delicious Fresh Blueberry Cobbler from the Southern Living Annual.

Comments from The Mister include: this is a keeper, but I would prefer more berries to topping.
Comments from Hawkeye include: This is good, but I like the crumble topping to be more chunky/crumbly so maybe add more butter to the flour mix.
Comments from PB include: I'm not a sweets person, but this is good. I liked that it had more topping than berries.
I suppose the lesson learned here is to make the topping more crumbly by cutting in extra butter and that everyone has a preference on the berry to topping ratio so make it the way you like it.

MrsMisAdventure

Fresh Blueberry Cobbler

from the Southern Living 1980 Annual Recipes, page 144
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour (I used all-purpose, the recipe calls for whole wheat.)
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of ground nutmeg (I used 1/8 tsp.)
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
Heat blueberries, water, and sugar to boiling. Let this mixture simmer about 2 minutes then pour into baking dish. (I used a 9-inch round pie pan. The recipe suggests using an 8-inch square dish.)

In a mixing bowl, cut butter into the flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg mix. Sprinkle the mix over the blueberries in the baking dish. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Serve warm.

We had it with vanilla ice cream and the next day we ate it plain. I actually preferred it plain as the cobbler with vanilla ice cream (to me) was too sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment