Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Freezer Fresh Creamed Corn, SL1996

I am very excited to continue cooking and experimenting with food and am already creating my list of recipes I would like to try this year from the Southern Living Annuals. The first recipe for the year is creamed corn. We live in an agriculturally rich area where many people have backyard gardens (some are quite large!). We often share fruits and vegetables with our neighbors and they kindly share with us. Last year, one of my mother's neighbors grew and harvested corn so we had a bag of corn in the freezer that was perfect for this recipe.

Note: The Mister really liked this recipe, but said it could use more cream. I cooked the Freezer Fresh Creamed Corn recipe in the morning, several hours before lunch, so the corn may have soaked up the liquid. It was still quite good and I am looking forward to trying it again since we plan to grow corn this year.

Freezer Fresh Creamed Corn

From the Southern Living 1996 Annual Recipes, Page 46

(I modified the recipe to produce 2/3 of the recipe since I only had 2 pounds of corn and not the 3 pounds the recipe required.)
  • 2 pounds frozen shoepeg corn, divided
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 1/3 tsp salt
  • 1/3 tsp pepper
In a food processor, puree 1 pound of corn until smooth. On the stove, melt butter on medium heat and add pureed corn, remaining corn, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir constantly. Once the corn mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment