Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Carrot Cake, SL 1984

On January 25, 2012, a sweet little girl entered our family and upgraded my family status to aunt. Her parents currently live in Europe so visits in the last year have been few and far between, but we look forward to emails and pictures. Several months ago, my sister-in-law and niece visited the US and spent a day at our house. I had the opportunity to hold this precious little girl and to watch as she bounced along from person to person exploring her new surroundings.

Last week, we celebrated her first birthday and while we were not able to send her the cake, we made one in her honor. Not to worry, The Mister's coworkers enjoyed consuming the cake for her. It was cute. Before each of them took a slice, they said, "Happy Birthday, Ella." So here's to you sweet niece, we hope you continue to explore and seek new adventures.

Carrot Cake

Southern Living 1984 Annual Recipes, pg 315

3 cups carrots, grated
2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

I put all of the wet ingredients in the mixer and turned on the mixer for a few seconds. Then I added the dry ingredients and mixed until combined. I baked at 350 degrees  for about 30 minutes. Then cooled the cake on cooling racks before decorating.

I don't recall having carrot cake before and expected it to be more carroty. Next time, I think I need to find a way grate the carrots more finely. The Mister and I are not big sweets eaters and I could have easily eaten this carrot cake plain and in muffin form.

No comments:

Post a Comment