Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Easy Beer Bread, SL1984

I think I may be too quickly lured by the word "easy". (I wonder what that says about me.) In searching for a quick bread recipe that did not require yeast, we came across a beer bread recipe. And of course, it had the word "easy" in the title.

Using a strong, dark stout beer imparted both color and flavor to the bread. This bread baked with an air pocket in the middle and came out of the oven with a chewy crust and soft center. Leftover bread converted easily into croutons which we ate before I could snap a photo.

The Mister said, if you have beer and want quick bread, then this bread will do, but he prefers the yeast loaves. He also said that he didn't think a lighter beer would have given it as much flavor.

Easy Beer Bread

Adapted from Southern Living 1984 Annual Recipe, pg 160

Note: I decreased the recipe due to the amount of beer I had on hand.

2 cups self-rising flour
2 TBSP sugar
10 oz beer

This recipe was so simple- just measure the ingredients, dump, and mix. Then bake in a loafpan at 350 for about 30 minutes in the toaster oven. (The recipe calls for 55 minutes in the oven.) It lived up to its name.

No comments:

Post a Comment