Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Pina Colada Ice Cream

When one of my mom's coworker's returned from a cruise, she gifted everyone with a bottle of rum. Since we are not rum drinkers, we have been trying to find creative ways to use up the bottle. Mom has successfully made pound cake using the rum as part of the liquid. Since summer has descended on the south, I decided to look up several ice cream recipes using rum. I compiled several from the Allrecipes website and modified the recipes to fit the ingredients we had in our pantry.

The pina colada ice cream was well received at a dinner we attended. The Mister said that this recipe is a keeper and great for hot summer days.

MrsMisadventure

Pina Colada Ice Cream

Adapted from several recipes from the Allrecipes website
  • 2 bananas
  • 20 oz pineapple chunks
  • 3/4 cup cream of coconut
  • 1 cup rum (I used Bicardi Limon Citrus Rum.)
  • 12 oz evaporated milk
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 cups whipping cream
This recipe makes two batches in my ice cream maker, so I set aside two bowls.

In a blender, blend the bananas, pineapple chunks, cream of coconut, and rum leaving the pineapple coarsely chopped. Pour half the mix in one bowl and half in the second bowl. Mix the evaporated milk, whole milk, and whipping cream. I just poured the milks in the blender and gave it a quick whirl. Pour half the milk in the first bowl and half in the second. Stir to mix the fruit and milk. I then put the bowls in the freezer according to my ice cream maker's directions to get the liquid very cold. Approximately two hours later, I attached the ice cream maker to the mixer and poured one bowl of cold liquid into the ice cream maker, creating the first batch of ice cream. After refreezing the ice cream maker, I attached the ice cream maker to the mixer and poured the second bowl of cold liquid into the ice cream maker, creating the second batch of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment