Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Strawberry Sauce, SL1987

When I told The Mister that I was planning to make a cheesecake ice cream for our dinner party, he immediately hinted that strawberries taste great on cheesecake. The next day, after work, the Mister returned home with a container of fresh strawberries and repeated that strawberries are tasty with cheesecake. I took that as my cue to come up with a way to incorporate strawberries into the cheesecake ice cream.

I must admit that the Mister's instincts were spot on (don't tell him I said that though!) as the strawberry sauce added a wonderful flavor and sweetness to the cheesecake ice cream. Our guests agreed.
MrsMisAdventure

Strawberry Sauce

Adapted from the Southern Living 1987 Annual Recipes, Page 198
  • water
  • 10 Ounces strawberries (I used fresh. The recipe calls for frozen.)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • sugar* see note, the recipe omits this item
I put the strawberries in a bowl with measuring demarcations and filled the bowl with water to the 2 cup line.

In a saucepan, I mixed the cornstarch and lemon juice. I added a little of the strawberry water and continued mixing until the cornstarch dissolved. Next, I added the remaining strawberries and water to the cornstarch mix and cooked over medium-low heat, stirring every five minutes for the first 30 minutes. After cooking for 30 minutes, I then began stirring more frequently watching the strawberries start to thicken. When the sauce thickened, I added one tablespoon of sugar to sweeten it a little. I allowed the sauce to cool and then refrigerated it for three hours before serving.

*Note: I followed the recipe as written in the cookbook at first, but when I tasted the strawberry sauce, it wasn't quite sweet enough so I added one tablespoon of sugar while cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment